The Lynwood guesthouse is 200 mtrs from the sea, but if you walk West from this point towards Newlyn and Mousehole you will happen across Penlee Quarry, just down from Penlee Point.
Mineral extraction at Penlee dates back to the early 19th-century when copper, zinc and other rare minerals were mined. Stone quarrying though was started by James Runnalls of Penzance, at a quarry near the Old Battery in 1879. The work moved to the current site at the turn of the 20th-century becoming known as Gwavas Quarry. Penlee supplied mainly crushed stone but on occasion also mined large chunks of stone known as rock armour or armourstone. The full-scale aggregate operations ran throughout most of the 19th century reaching peak output in the 1960s and 1970s.
With production increasing, a 2 ft narrow gauge railway was opened around 1900. This connected the quarry with the south pier of Newlyn harbour, which was approximately ½ mile away to the east. A steam locomotive named Koppel was purchased to work this line. Internal combustion locomotives replaced steam from the 1930’s. Stone was shipped from Newlyn to destinations around the Bristol Channel and the south coast and in later years as far a field as Germany.
The railway was more or less a straight track apart from the curve on to the south pier at Newlyn. It was double track for most of the route although at some point in the past it had been single, the double track being reinstated as production increased in the later years. In the 1960s when a ship was being loaded, six locomotives were needed for operations, four higher powered ones on the main line and two lower powered ones shunting the empty tipper wagons through the two loading points. The empty trains were reversed back to the loading points from the harbour.
In 1973, the railway ceased operations and was replaced by an electrical conveyor system using the same route. Operations at the quarry then slowed throughout the late 1970s and the 1980s eventually coming to an end in 1989/90.
During the Winter storms of 2014, severe damage was done to Newlyn Green and during extensive repairs to the Promenade at this point some of the old track was bared for all to see.